The last week of October, we’ll be at the PASS Summit in Seattle, WA. As some of you already know – and as I said last year and the year before – “this is the highlight of most SQL Server speakers’ years…a sort of educational, Christmassy nerdfest, with a feel of a class reunion mixed in.” It’s gonna be a blast, again-again, and so here’s some of the stuff you should know about.
Edit for PSA: If you’re the type to get a flu shot, NOW would be a good time. #NerdFlu is a thing. Got to give the vaccination time to take effect!
24 Hours of PASS – 24 hours of live, free webcasts – is September 7.
Taking part, if you can’t attend
The keynotes and luncheons are usually live broadcast, and you can order session recordings to cuddle up with at home. I suppose you can put on a kilt, go hit a karaoke bar with friends, drink too much, and contract the nerd flu, if it’ll make you feel more like you were at Summit. That’s what I’d do.
AND! PASS has announced that they will be live streaming keynotes, interviews, sessions, and lightning talks on PASSTV next week!
Some of the best stuff, if you’re there
I’ll update this section as new stuff is announced.
Right before the Summit starts:
- There is no official #SQLLongRun this year that I know of, but I’m thinking of doing my own personal long run the Monday of the Summit. So, you know, that’s a thing.
- Monday, October 24 (5-7pm), have a meetup with the MidnightDBAs at Top Pot Doughnuts on 5th Ave. Yes, it’s donuts for dinner, and we’re fine with that. Or consider it a sweet, sweet appetizer. Register now!
- There’s also the Monday Night Networking Event that Steve Jones and Andy Warren put on. Sign up for a 15 minute spot and get in there!
During the Summit:
- The Photowalk is Tueday morning, if you’re in Seattle and free. Great way to see the city!
- There is a First Timer’s Orientation Meeting & Speed Networking session Tuesday 5:15 PM – 6:30 PM in Ballroom 6E. you’ll need to register to attend: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/first-timers-orientation-meeting-tickets-27642754222 (Thanks to Rie Irish for the information.)
- Come see us in the vendor area! MinionWare.net is an official PASS Summit 2016 sponsor, and we’re really excited about it. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter: @HeyMinionWare.
- SQLRun: Consider going on a 5k walk or run on Wednesday morning! See #SQLRun.
- Hit a luncheon or two: Women in Technology, and the Birds of a Feather. Information.
- Meet the SQLCAT (Customer Advisory Team).
- Drop by the evening events. The Welcome Reception is Wednesday, 6-8:00 PM. Check out the evening events page for more, including the first ever (Unofficial) PASS Summit 2016 LGBT Meetup!
- Fight conference harassment: get a ribbon from me (Jen McCown) or Sean McCown at the conference to show you’re willing to help if someone’s getting harassed. (It’s a problem at all conferences, unfortunately, though historically not a huge one at Summit.)
P.S. For those who missed something in particular from this announcement, email or DM or email me with your questions. Apologies to the rest of you for the cryptic postscript.