Hi, I’m Sean, and DBA Rant is my blog. Here I talk about SQL Server and other tech topics, plus MidnightDBA news and SQL community updates. Together, my wife Jen McCown and I video and write and run all things MidnightDBA.
What I Do
Here’s a list of all the things I do online:
|Blog||This blog, DBA Rant|
|Videos||MidnightDBA.com training videos|
|Webshow||The DBAs at Midnight webshow, with me and Jen. We talk about tech and community topics late at night; we’re usually punchy so it’s pretty funny. (Also available as a feed.) Previews available on our YouTube channel.|
|Petri IT Knowledgebase||As of May 2010, Jen and I are writers and forum moderators at Petri.co.il, the IT Knowledgebase.|
|InfoWorld Magazine||I’ve been contributing editor and the sole database expert for InfoWorld Magazine for 7 years; my latest article (as of 6/28/10) is Seven reasons to care about SQL Server 2008 R2|
|Other Online Material||Other online presentations and articles:
|Twitter, LinkedIn, FB||Jen keeps up the @MidnightDBA Twitter feed with updates and whatever. I’m on LinkedIn and Facebook, but only very seldomly.|
|Swag||We create t-shirts and mugs for the MidnightDBA Zazzle store. All proceeds go to fund our giveaways (we don’t profit)|
|Reviews||ITBookworm.com, currently under construction (again). Check out our 2009 gift review for some of our favorite tech toys.|
And here are some of the things I do IRL:
- Board member of NTSSUG, member of PASS
- I present regularly at NTSSUG, and planned and presented at SQL Saturday #35 in Dallas. Scheduled to present at SQL Saturday #28 Baton Rouge on August 14, 2010.
For more about us personally, see our “Who Are the MidnightDBAs“.
In addition to finding me at various SQL Saturdays and PASS Summit, there are a few ways to reach me:
- I read all the comments on this blog, so that’s a good place to start.
- Feel free to email questions, suggestions, and comments to Sean@MidnightDBA.com
- Follow us on Twitter at @MidnightDBA
My site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. That means:
- You’re free to copy, distribute, and transmit my work
- You must attribute my work in the manner specified by me (but not in any way that suggests that I endorse you or your use of my work)
- You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my express written permission
- You may not alter, transform, or build upon my work without my express written permission
Sure, you’re capable of plagarizing my work and going on about your life, but we will find out about it. Bad things will happen. See what we had to say about the last guy who plagarized (parts 1 through 4).
This work by Sean McCown is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Incoming search terms:
- dba rant
Release Date: Minion by MidnightDBAJust 3 days 7 hours 15 minutes 19 seconds until we release Minion Redindex: index maintenance done right!
The best database career advice you’ve never heard!
Become a DBA. Become a BETTER DBA. Use the Roadmap.
The DBA Roadmap Seminar is 7 MP3 tracks (over 5 hours!) of insider guidance on your database career. We'll teach you how and what to study as a DBA, weigh in on controversial resume debates, teach you to recognize a worthy recruiter, and discuss the new professionalism of interviews. Also some bonus materials, PDF companion guides, and really spiffy intro music!
Once your $99 PayPal payment is submitted, you'll get the download link in e-mail! (Download is a 370Mb ZIP file.)
Visit www.DBARoadmap.com for info, forums, and more!
TagsArchitecture blunders Camtasia Career Coding Standards CPU data generator DBA Development disaster firewall Idiots Inside SQL Server Interview ITBookworm Jobs Kalen Delaney Katmai Ken Henderson LiteSpeed MidnightDBA PASS Summit 2011 Pinnacle politics Powershell Powershell Hero Query techniques Red-Gate reporting restore SQL Express 1433 SCM SQL Server SQLServerDVD.com SSIS SSRS Training troubleshooting TSQL Tuesday tuning Tutorials Video post videos Yukon
Interview: Kalen Delaney!
Need help? Got an emergency? Write us at Support@MidnightDBA.com!
We can schedule time to help with your backup/restore issues, high availability and disaster recovery setup, performance problems, and a great deal more. Very often, we're even available on the moment for downtime issues and emergencies.
- Guest Review: Microsoft Wireless Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard
- Quick Review: Anker Vertical Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Mouse
- Reading: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL Using Window Functions by Itzik Ben-Gan
- Repost: “Problems with my new book” by Grant Fritchey
- Announcing SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by Grant Fritchey